No matter how many times we move and how much we try to get things done ahead of time, it always seem to come down to the wire! And it was no different this time!! After a short night of sleep, we woke up on Wednesday with a few last minute things to do. We then got on the road to head to the Pittsburgh airport. First, though, we needed to stop one more time at Walmart. And that’s where the delays began!! Rather than write out all the crazy things that happened on this trip, I’m just going to list them.
- Our prescription at Walmart wasn’t ready because of some issue with the insurance.
- Walmart didn’t have the right size zip ties that we needed so we had to make a stop at AutoZone too.
- We stopped for lunch at a McDonald’s on the way. In an effort to save time, we got our food to-go. Bart asked for a burger with ketchup only for Luke. It wasn’t until they got in the car that they found that Luke had gotten a bun with ketchup only – not even a burger!!!
- It was about this time that Bart discovered his credit card was missing. Did it fall out somewhere, did someone steal it…? The last time he remembered having it was at the pharmacy in Walmart. A call there confirmed that they did have it. Thankfully it was not the credit card that we use in PNG!
- We missed a turn getting back on the highway because the route number of the road we wanted had been changed. We would have appreciated a sign that said something like – “this road was formerly…”
- Once we got on the right road, we had to sit in traffic for a while due to bridge construction.
- Finally at the airport, we were getting checked in and the lady helping us kept taking breaks to help everyone else in line too. Good for those people, not so good for us as the time for our departure was getting closer and closer.
- Going through security, we had to have one of our bags rescanned several times. Turned out that our shiny package of baby wipes was raising some concern until they figured out what it was.
So, our morning was kind of hectic and nerve-wracking. We said our rushed, teary goodbyes and had our gate in view when we heard an announcement over the loud speaker – “United passenger Bart Allen – please report to Gate C51”! We were the last ones to board the plane!!! But we made it!!
And as I write this, we have made it as far as Cairns, Australia. We are enjoying a few days here before we head to PNG. After a really hectic last few weeks in the States and almost 24 hours of flying, we are feeling refreshed now and ready to get back to PNG.
We haven’t put many pictures on here or on Facebook recently so we’re including some below.