Greetings from the Philippines! We PRAISE THE LORD for His graciousness and faithfulness in meeting our needs and giving us another opportunity to be here in the Philippines again. We’re here primarily to complete the consultant check of the remaining 4 books of the Old Testament that will complete the Kalanguya Bible! But being here also reminds us of God’s faithfulness over the years to raise up a church here among the Kalanguya people. It’s wonderful to sit in their meetings, hear them sing the songs we have translated into their language plus the new songs they have added, and especially to hear them teach, pray and testify how the Lord in working in their daily lives. It would be hard to quantify how encouraging that all is for us! As the tribal believers often say when they share what God is doing in their lives, “Hi Diyoh i Nadayaw!” TO GOD BE THE GLORY!
We’ve been here in the Philippines a little less than a month! Here’s how that time has gone:
- Safe flight and arrival in the Philippines on Jan 27th and then 2 days in Manila’s NTM Guest House catching up on sleep and overcoming jet lag!
- Traveled to the province on Jan 30th and began settling in to our little “apartment” at CFM.
- First consultant check started on Feb 2, and we finished the Song of Solomon in 3 days partly due to the preparatory work Bob had done while we were in the US and mostly due to some terrific tribal translators!
- On Feb. 5th, we began the check of 1 Chronicles and working out some orthography issues that had surfaced because of influences from the trade language of this part of the Philippines and the fact that the Kalanguya are so scattered over a large area and therefore influenced in different ways in the way they pronounce some vowels. We finished that check in 6 days but in that week, Judy broke her front tooth off! So………
- Judy’s broken tooth brought us to Manila on Valentine’s Day with an appointment to see our dentist here on Feb. 15th. So far, so good on getting that fixed. PTL! She now has a temporary replacement! Meanwhile….
- Bob came down with pneumonia while we were in Manila. We waited a few days before going to the doctor, thinking he just had a cold. But the doctor confirmed pnuemonia and got Bob on the right medicines! NOTE: Are you sure you folks are praying for us?!! J We need your prayers!
So here’s where we are now: Still in Manila with Bob recovering from pneumonia but on his feet today, or should I say, in a chair…..continuing his own check of 2 Chronicles in preparation for when we get back to the translation team and CFM in the province. Judy is awaiting her permanent tooth – not looking forward to any process that involves a dentist opening her mouth!! We’re planning (Lord willing) to return to the province on Sunday, Feb. 28th. Pray that all these things work together and that we get back to the province and our work safely!
One quick anecdote: On Feb. 14th, Bob was sitting in the morning worship at CFM, thinking (as he had been told) that our friend Bong was speaking. When it came time for the message, Bong motioned to Bob that he should go ahead and speak! Bob was surprised but quickly rose to the occasion! He told the group to sing another song while he ran back to the house for some notes he had written before…….he tells me it was his best message ever!! I’m not so sure of that but I do know the people here love to hear Bob teach and will take any opportunity to put him up front! God love ‘em…….we sure do! We covet your prayers and are thankful for you and your part in our ministry!!