1 Corinthians 10
We have been talking about the treasure of our hearts the last couple days. A week or so back we also talked about the place trials and suffering plays in our lives from 1 Peter 1 and 4. As I read Job 23, I thought it was interesting to see these concepts lived out in the life of Job.
Job 23:10-12 He knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold. That reminds me of what Peter says in 1 Peter 1:7. Job goes on, “I have not departed from the commandment of His lips; I have TREASURED the words of his mouth more than my portion of food.”
Job 23 is right in the middle of Job’s searching for answers. His 3 friends are not helping, in fact, instead of helping and encouraging Job’s faith, they are condemning it. Right in the middle, even though Job has no answers, God seems to be silent, and Job feels abandoned by the Lord, he chooses to still declare truth! I think we have heard this message before! I love it when scripture spells out plain and simple examples of theology being lived out practically.
- God WILL use my (Job’s) current trial to purify my faith. Just like 1 Peter 1:7 talks about. Job even uses the same terminology… “I shall come out like gold!”
- God is unchangeable (Job 23:13). He will keep his promises! He always does what He says and finishes what He starts (Job 23:14; Phil 1:6)
- I know that as long as I keep God’s word as my treasure (Job 23:12), I can rest under His care.
Job was really struggling with these truths! He says, “I am terrified.. I am in dread of God… God has made my heart faint…” (Job 23:15-16) Even still, “I am not silenced because of the darkness.” (Job 23:17) In other words, even thought all is dark, and I can’t see the light at the end of this tunnel I am in, I choose to believe what I know to be true about God!
What an incredible faith. What a difference declaring God’s truth to ourselves can make. When the world, and even our own “close comforters” can be telling us something else (lies), to have the confidence to declare the truth, will enable us to find rest, and overcome the lies.
Here’s a couple truths from the other passages I read today:
Luke 9:35 This is my Son, my Chosen One; listen to Him!
1 Cor 10:31-33 Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God… just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, NOT seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that THEY may be saved.
- God WILL use my current trial to purify my faith. Just like 1 Peter 1:7 and Job 23:13 “I shall come out like gold!”
- God is unchangeable (Job 23:13). He will keep his promises! He always does what He says and finishes what He starts (Job 23:14; Phil 1:6) I know that as long as I keep God’s word as my treasure (Job 23:12), I can rest under His care.
- Through all the other “noise” I need to be listening for the still small voice of God! (Luke 9:35) He loves me as much as He loves His son (John 17:3)