Jesus’ resurrected life was to give us all that Eph 1:17-20 describes. In John 11:25-26 when Jesus declared himself to be “the resurrection and the life,” Martha had no idea what Jesus had just offered. He was offering her the inheritance described in Eph 1:11-12.
In the Old Testament, God had offered Israel an inheritance also. (Ex 32:13) “I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to your offspring and they shall INHERIT it forever…” But Israel squandered the inheritance they were given. They failed to live to the praise of his glorious grace (Eph 1:12). No one was praising God’s grace from what they saw with Israel. Instead they saw a God who dealt out judgment and justice. He still had lavished his grace upon them. He still had given them a rich inheritance. But instead of living in gratitude and servitude, they took it for granted and became entitled. So, God judged them.
How do we squander our inheritance? Does my life bring glory and praise to his glorious grace. Do I praise God for his grace, and does my life showcase that grace, so that those who witness my life praise and glorify God for his grace as they see it displayed in me?
John 11:25-26 I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live…
Paul’s prayer in Eph 1:17-20 is what we should experience when we live according to the inheritance we have been given:
Eph 1:17-20 Paul’s prayer…
- enjoying the Spirit of wisdom and revelation…
- eyes of your heart enlightened…
- knowing the hope to which you were called,
- reveling in knowing the RICHES of his glorious inheritance
- experiencing the immeasurable greatness of his power available to you… the very power that raised Jesus from the dead
Declarations of Truth
- You have opened my eyes to the truth of your grace and your love for me. I have been called to a tremendous hope, a hope that will never fade away, as long as I keep my eyes on what you have done for me.
- In light of the inheritance you have given me in the resurrected life of your son living in me today, I have immeasurably great power available to me to over come sin and live victorious no matter what circumstances I face.
- I don’t want to squander my inheritance, nor take it for granted, or become entitled. In humility I want others to witness the joy I have because of your grace and love which I experience every day.