Several years ago we worked with teams in the Philippines to write literacy curriculums in the languages spoken in their villages. Recently we received an update and a few literacy questions from one of the teams. They have taught the first literacy classes and have several graduates. One of these is an older man named Ponciano.
The team wrote, “He seemed hopeless [with learning to read] but now he’s a reading machine who loves to read. Other older people see him and say, ‘If Ponciano could do it, I could!’ Thanks to you two for giving them that chance!”
join us in prayer:
Ponciano’s enthusiasm and success in learning to read have sparked a renewed interest in more literacy classes! Soon a new class will begin in the village. Please pray:
- for the missionary team as they teach literacy classes
- for the new students to persevere in the work necessary to learn to read and write
- that soon local literacy teachers will be trained to teach the classes
- for many more like Ponciano, who will learn to read. The Bible is being translated right now into this language and we desire that many come to love and obey God’s Word as they can read It.
- for us as we work remotely via the internet with this team updating their literacy materials with corrections and improvements from their first classes.
We continue working here from home answering questions and doing training all over the world on the internet. We’re also making steady progress on the revision of the Literacy Manual that will be used by consultants, teams, and in the missionary training centers as well as the finishing touches on the literacy software.