We’re already well into the new year but just wanted to take a few moments to reflect on last year before this one goes flying by. It was a hard one for sure, but as I look back I remember all the bright spots mixed in with all the pain and loss. For the most part we’ll remember the brighter parts. So here are 20 things that stand out to us from 2013.
1. Ankle injury 2013 started out pretty quickly with Pete injuring his ankle playing soccer. It took a while but eventually it was back to mostly normal. During his recovery we had a nice weekend visit from his Grandma and Dad.
2. Family February seemed to be a month for seeing family on weekends. Carly’s parents and cousin Lindsay made a visit which included the ‘parentals’ using their new snow shoes. Our nephew had his first sleepover at Uncle Pete & Aunt Carly’s house which was FUN! The end of the month found us in Michigan where we got to hang with the Nichols family.
3. Spring Break We got to relive the fun of spring break when Pete’s sister Patience and cousin Rachel came to spend theirs with us! We dropped them off in Michigan on a quick day trip but just in time to catch the Nichols easter get together.
4. Graduations April found us in Sault Ste Marie, MI celebrating our friends graduation from the nursing program there. It was a nice weekend get away! A couple weeks later we made it to Michigan for Pete’s brother Pierce’s graduation.
5. Chicago! We enjoyed a few days of mini vacation in May when we went to the Chicago area to visit our friends Brion & Annette and their two boys. We had such a great time! It was a great break right before our busy time of year began.
6. Birthday Boy We spent Pete’s 28th birthday babysitting our niece and nephew at their house. Kids always add excitement to a birthday celebration!
7. Allergies! Carly finally got in to see an allergist in June. It was informative and helpful to learn what she was allergic to which ended up being animals and most things outside…grass, all sorts of trees, cats, birds, horses, rabbits, dust…
8. 40 years! Carly’s parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary in June…amazing! They took a trip to Northern Ireland to visit friends.
9. Papa The beginning of July brought with it the start of the tougher times of 2013. Carly’s “Papa” was diagnosed with cancer and given four months to live. Three weeks later he was gone. To say those days were tough and painful would be an understatement. There were a lot of circumstances that surrounded that time that just made it plain hard. I wish I could have talked to him one more time.
10. Off The Grid This was our third summer of the program and we saw 98 people come through the course. Most of our time prior to the summer had been spent getting ready for OTG. All went well and we continue to learn and improve the program as we go along.
11. Plus One We had Pete’s cousin Rachel live with us for the summer as she came to be the OTG 2013 cook. We seriously loved having her for the summer! Her family came up on the long weekend in the summer and we had a great time with them!
12. Grandma Isham After a long battle with ALS Pete’s Grandma left us at the beginning of September. We were grateful for a few days in Michigan with family during that time. Thanksgiving and Christmas sure felt different this year without her.
13. Three Years We celebrated our 3rd anniversary in September! We enjoyed a weekend away in Oakville, some Peruvian cuisine and an All Sons & Daughters concert. It was a great weekend with my favourite guy!
14. New Brunswick Pete flew out to NB to speak at a Bible college there in the fall. This was the furthest we travelled for ministry this year.
15. Girls Getaway We celebrated Mom’s 60th birthday in October with a girls getaway and pedicures!
16. Michigan We left October 18th and moved to Michigan for the remainder of the year. We had a great time of “Partnership Development” there and a great time living close to family!
17. Grandma Noose November brought the death of Carly’s Grandma. Carly headed back to London to see her while she was still in the hospital and Pete joined her once Grandma died. The reality of her death is still sinking in and the tears seem to come at the most random times. Life will never be the same without her. She brought so much life and laughter.
18. Birthday Girl Carly’s 32nd birthday was spent with a visit from her parents, a day out shopping with the Aunt and cousin and a Hello Kitty birthday party that my in-laws threw me. And yes, you read the last part right!
19. Ice Storm The big ice storm made Christmas an exciting time as we celebrated with Pete’s family this year. We went for five days without power.
20. The End We ended 2013 with Carly’s family coming and having our late Christmas with them once we got back to Ontario. We were able to ice skate and enjoy some days together and it was especially fun to have Aunt Beth with us this year.