Yesterday was September 16, 2016. I bet most of you remember what you did that day. But do you remember what you did on September 16, 2015? I do. I went sledding down the ramp outside my co-worker Jen’s house. It was the closest thing we’ve gotten to a snow day here in Burkina Faso, since it was the day of the failed coup d’etat.
It’s hard to believe that it’s only been 1 year since then. It feels like so many more. So I decided to make a list of some of the things that I’ve done in this year, and after making it, I realize why it feels like so many more and also why I feel like I’ve been exhausted a lot lately. Let me share with you some of what this last year held for me:
– I’ve been in 7 countries – 5 for work, 2 for vacation.
– I received 2 trainings in English (language learning and discourse analysis).
– I gave 1 training in English (PGA).
– I gave 2 trainings in French (PGA and language learning).
– I took part in a PGA trip in Guinea.
– I wrote and helped write the PGA reports from that trip to Guinea.
– I oversaw the writing of over a dozen reports for the Senegal Country-Wide PGA Report.
– I spent time with my grandma as she was suffering from her brain tumor.
– My grandma passed away.
– There were presidential elections and a new president inaugurated in Burkina Faso – this is the first time this happened here since before I was born, so was a stressful time even though I was out of the country.
– There was a terrorist attack in the capital, and I flew in 3 days later.
– Jen and I made our first connections with Our People Group since the PGA trip in 2013.
– I majorly improved in my moto-driving skills, driving over some pretty scary “roads”.
– I visited all 17 of the main villages in our People Group.
– I helped a co-worker a bit as he started to learn Jula.
– I’ve spent a lot of time and energy helping Rachida’s family deal with her eye cancer.
– I’ve started to learn bits and pieces of the language of my people group.
– I wrote up a report on all the villages of our people group that we’ve visited.
Well, those were just the main things that came to mind. I know there’s been plenty of other things as well. No wonder a year ago feels like so much longer ago! And I think that after having written this I’m ready for bed. Good night!