I thought you might enjoy some more pictures of my village. The internet is super slow today so I can’t figure out how to write captions with each one, but I figure you’d probably prefer to at least see the pictures. I’ll try to give a brief description here of each picture, in the order that I think they’ll show up:
1. The road to my village.
2. Another way you could take the road if you don’t have a moto and you’re very talented. I’m impressed!
3. One of the two water pumps in the village. This one is said to only have water a few months out of the year. At least at first, we’ll probably be getting our water from a pump like this!
4. One way to carry water home from the pump (but no, there are no paved roads in my village).
5. Some kids in my village
6. Me with some kids!
7. Peanuts we had just dug up
8. Pulling the corn kernels off the cob to make “to,” their main food.
9. Pounding the corn kernels into flour to make “to”
10. Making “to!”
11. An old man
12. Jen working on learning their language. She’s telling the kids to “come,” “go,” “run,” “jump,” etc.
13. Jen and I in the meeting with the village chief and elders. (Dan and the other NTMers were across from us, out of the picture)
14. Some of the elders in the meeting