Jon's second surgery at Mayo Clinic is done! The doctor said he can be up walking on Monday with a prosthetic and crutches! Yes Monday! Praise God!!
Jon's surgery lasted about two hours. Dr Shives said they had to remove about 50% of his thigh tissue and some of the end of the bone. On Wednesday they will take him back into surgery.
The Mayo doctors would like to get Jon in for surgery on Monday morning. They were surprised that Jon isn't sick or showing any signs of infection since his wounds are deep, his inside stump wound now touching the bone.
We made it to Rochester, MN last night exhausted and numb to stay with Jon's lovely aunt and uncle who've opened up their home to us. Tomorrow morning 8:00 am we go in for Jon's first appointment.
After prayer, considering options and talking with the doctor we've decided to head to Mayo in Minnesota, USA. Our insurance company is buying our tickets to leave on Wednesday the 18th.
Because it's a potentially big surgery we have chosen to pray about whether we should go back to the USA to do the surgery or whether we should have the surgery done here in Australia.
After seeing the plastic surgeon, we need an MRI to get a better look inside the stump. The doc said surgery is possible again to either sew up Jon's new wound or worse case scenario open up his stump and cut away any junk. We won't know how to proceed until the results come in.