We’re in the middle of summer here in Alabama, with its heat and humidity……and downpours! Almost like still being back in the Philippines at the beginning of rainy season! But we’re not in the Philippines….we’ve been home now for several months……
And it’s high time for a word from us to you, our faithful friends and supporters. We returned from our 4 month trip to the Philippines in late February……and we’ve been in sort of an R&R — Rest and Recovery! Judy in particular, came home from this last trip needing help with a torn Achilles tendon and a bad ankle sprain. She has been getting that help and praise the Lord, is now walking on her own, though still has some swelling and tightness (which is to be expected for another 3-6 months according to her doctor) so ice treatments are still part of her daily routine. Bob is doing fine, especially with his health. Since our return from the Philippines in February, he has worked occasionally with our son, helping out in various aspects of his business. Doing some physical work that he loves to do has given him good relief from the mental concentration (translation work and teaching) from our time of work in the Philippines.
We also have been able to spend some time at our HQ in Florida, working with our computer department to upgrade our computers! Along with those upgrades came several hours of patient instruction to help us understand the changes which will help us in our work. Thanks to the men at our HQ for their help!
Back in the Philippines, the translation work continues. We are grateful for the efforts of the men and women on the Translation Teams who work with us to complete the translation of the whole Bible into their respective languages. The Kalanguya team has also been translating the chronological teaching material published by New Tribes Mission (Building on Firm Foundations), working in conjunction with the NTM leadership of the Philippine field. These lesson materials will eventually be available for all churches in the Philippines for use by pastors and teachers who seek to lay a foundation for people to understand God’s plan of salvation for a sin-sick world.
Our plans are to return to the Philippines sometime in December of this year. After a Christmas celebration and time with our family in Cambodia, we hope to work with our translation teams in the Philippines for the first 4 months of 2014 to do consultant checks on the remaining Old Testament books that have not yet been checked by Bob. In the meantime, Bob will do a preliminary check of the book of Deuteronomy in preparation for a quick final check of that book with the teams in 2014. The books of Psalms, 1&2 Chronicles, Isaiah, review a lot of the material via email files prior to our return to the Philippines and that will help him be familiar with their material and do the checking faster. Of course there is really no “quick” way to check Scripture material, so we’ll just pray we don’t have any setbacks and can get complete the checking on all those books.
PRAISE AND PRAYER:
- For the good health God continues to give us and for the ministry He has entrusted to us.
- For the provision of our needs, especially for the finances He has provided through His people for our travel.
- For the recent reduction of the interest rate on our mortgage for our home here in Alabama! That will be a huge help this year in paying our mortgage.
- For supporting churches and individuals that have been faithful in praying and given to support our ministry of translation and encouragement to the tribal churches in the Philippines.
- For the tribal church leaders and translation teams that God has given us the privilege of working with in the Philippines.
- For the complete healing of Judy’s foot and Achilles’ tendon. The folks in the Philippines have already assured us that the hole in front of our house in which Judy fell has been filled!!
- For singleness of purpose as we work toward seeing the Kalanguya Old Testament added to the completed New Testament in the next 2-3 years and the Ibaloi Old Testament also well on its way to completion.
- For the supply of finances ($3000) for this next trip to the Philippines.
- For support needed for the continued development and maintenance of the various ministries in the Philippines. We need to expand and put a new roof on the Boys’ Dorm and build a Chapel/Library for the CFM Center; be able to provide financial support for the Kalanguya translation team and CFM staff and also help the churches in their outreach ministries as we can. The Kalanguya Project Fund has been set up to funnel resources for these ministries. We are asking the Lord for more monthly supporters for the Kalanguya Project Fund. Having this fund better supported is also a help to us personally since we give from our personal support to make sure there is enough in this Fund to meet ministry needs in the Philippines.
- Pray that we’ll always be a blessing and encouragement wherever we are.