It is not a language to learn, it is a life to live.
The more I learn about the process of entering into someone’s life through their language, the more I am amazed at the size of the task Yet it is also amazing how much it means to people when you truly seek to understand who they are (which means speaking to them in their heart language in a culturally appropriate way). It is a God size task, but we have a God who is big enough. God is at work in powerful ways around the world displaying his wonder through broken people who are willing to serve. I pray that God will continue to mold my family into that type of humble servants.
During my 2 weeks in Thailand I…
- learned 150 Vietnamese words
- was trained to help people through language learning
- processed through our struggles and successes in language learning.
- prayed daily for God to lead us to a good language helper when I returned
- was spiritually refreshed
- ate more spicy food in two weeks then the rest of my life combined
- Acquired a new type of skin rash
- filled my luggage with special treats for our family
- experienced many small pieces of life in Thailand
- was encouraged by the way my body handled the heat. This next hot season is going to be so much better.
- greatly missed my family. They sure do bless my life!
The Journey Home
My time here has been great, but I am so excited to be heading back to to my family. Saturday I will begin the long journey home, which includes 16 hours of flight time. On Monday we all drive back to our home together. We are very excited to reconnect with our host family and begin to put together the pieces of our life. It will be nice to settle and stay in our home for longer than a week. We are excited, but also aware that the first days of transition are always difficult for us. Please pray for grace and patience as we readjust to life again.
Andi, I’m so glad you had this time away to learn and be refreshed and to process. I think those are things that missionaries most often don’t do, yet need so badly. I am so glad the Lord blessed you with this gift. I love you! I’ll be praying for safe travels back. I know you all will be so happy to see each other again. Love you!
Shawn and Jenn DeAtley says
I’m so glad you had a great time! I loved seeing your pictures of Thailand. Safe travels!
Jane Van Ryn says
Thanks once again for sharing your heart. We are blessed as we watch you grow & mature into the woman God created you to be. Have a safe trip. We’re excited to hear about you next “adventures” with your “boys”!