I knew that when I walked on the plane to leave for Africa, that life would not be the same when I returned years later. How it would be different, I couldn’t know. As much as I knew that reality, I chose not to dwell on it or I might have not walked onto that plane. So I should not be surprised by the grief of change. This morning my grandpa, whom I dearly loved, passed away. I know this is not a final goodbye, but I will miss seeing him here on this earth. It is hard to not be with family during this time to help and grieve and remember. I desperately cling to the hope that as effective as prayers have been in my life, so might my prayers provide some comfort to my family as I am away.
I can’t be there, but I can remember with everyone else the wonderful ways that this man impacted my life.
- You were an amazing cook! Your hamburgers and chicken wings were famous in my world.
- You always took the time to make us kids our favorite drinks, special cherries and all!
- I remember the summers spent with you, swimming in your pool as you watched and laughed.
- Every time we came, you always had new pool toys for us blown up and ready.
- You were the best spades partner
- Your home was a refuge to me and those I love.
- I always ate better when I was with you than any other time in my life.
- You were a hard worker, who never gave up no matter what the task.
- Your real estate advice has made us wiser.
- The two weeks you spent getting our home ready before our marriage is treasured in my heart.
- You always had time to come down and help when there was need. My parent’s house would not be what it is today without your hard work.
- Every night you got grandma her pills and milk, which was only one of the many ways you displayed your love for her.
- It has been amazing watching you grow and change as God softened your heart.
- You loved your grandchildren and always went above and beyond to make sure we were happy.