This week our challenge was all about bugs
- Household bug…With the rains this week our bug population exploded. Thousands of flies, hundreds of mosquito, a few spiders, roaches, beetles and millipedes
- Food Bugs…for some reason there were an abnormally large number of bugs I had to sort out of our flour and sugar this week
- Fever Bugs… The boys decided to pass this one around between them.
- Stomach Bugs…These are a pretty regular part of life, but annoying none the less.
- Planning Bugs…The unexpected things that sneak up and make you rework your entire day
There were times when I was able to ignore the bugs that surrounded us and other times they consumed my energy. Yesterday was a holiday and I traveled out to a nearby village to spend the day with our host family. I traveled out by myself blindly following the directions I was given and praying I would end up at the right village. I traveled out the ways Africans would crammed in the back of a pick up with 25 other people. I spent the morning sorting bugs out of noodles with Cecil in a kitchen swimming with flies. We cooked a chicken, head, feet and all and prepared the meal together. We ate together on the floor, from the same bowl, with our hands. In the middle of the meal Cecil looked up at me and said, “My sister, today you are with me in my real home and experiencing life as I know it”. At that moment I knew that God had been using this week to prepare me for this moment. He used our normal life to make me familiar with things that I would not naturally be familiar. It was hot, bugs were everywhere, the food wasn’t clean, nothing was planned, and I had no idea how I was getting home, but I was there with her where she was most comfortable. Thank you God for preparing me to do things I would not normally be able or willing to do.