|It’s happened again.
I was excited to FINALLY return to my morning small group at church after missing a couple of weeks. But I woke up with a headache. A stiff neck, sore eyes, feel like I’m going to throw up if I sit up type of headache. And so I let my friends know I’m not coming, and I read my Bible on the couch instead of going to church.
Why Lord? This is so frustrating and seems so pointless. Why would you want me laying on the couch instead of learning about you or serving you by ministering to others? And so, in the pain and disappointment of continued pain and canceled plans, I ask- what can you teach me through this, Lord? I’m desperate for healing, and for a “this is the good purpose in this” answer to my chronic pain. But, God hasn’t told me yet. Maybe He never will this side of heaven. So what truths can I rest in?
– In everything, God is still good, He still loves me, He is still in control.
– My body, like this world, is broken, and longs for the restoration that will only fully come when Jesus comes back.
– God is God, and I am not. I can’t do everything, and He doesn’t need me “doing” 24/7.
– I should let this be an invitation to rest, something I’m not very good at unless I’m overwhelmed with nausea.
– Serving is not the only valuable thing that I can do in God’s eyes.
So many of you have been so faithful in praying for my headaches. Thank you. I am continuing to seek avenues for relief from them, but know that God has good purposes even in this. I sometimes don’t even want to talk about my headaches because they are such small trials compared to others, but I think that my feelings might be similar to feelings you have struggled with. So, I share my musings and this challenge- together, let’s pray, let’s draw near to God, let’s rest in Him, and let’s let our trials remind us to long for heaven, and to bring the good news of Jesus to our broken, hurting world.
Till all know,
Matt, Karissa, Ty, and Wyck
Top/Left: Our kids with their Colorado cousins. Bottom/Right: Our family has enjoyed going to an American Ninja Warrior gym this month.
– for my upcoming appointment at Mayo, that God would give wisdom to my doctor
– for a struggling friend, that God would be drawing him to Himself
– for our hearts as we are feeling the end of our furlough rapidly approaching
– that we can spend our time well
– The first weekend of April I have the opportunity to speak at a women’s retreat. Pray that God would speak through me and draw people closer to Himself.
– Our center in PNG desperately needs another doctor to come and serve there. Right now there is only one.
– Wyck’s eyesight continues to improve, and he no longer has to do patching!
– I had an MRA done of my brain and neck, and everything was ok with my veins and arteries.
– We had a wonderful time visiting family in Colorado.
– God has been at work in our hearts, bringing the emotional and spiritual restoration we had prayed for.
– The kids are improving in their ability at swimming lessons.
– God works all things for the good of those who love Him.