What is Logistics Support?
First of all, it is an opportunity for various members of the Body of Christ, who have different gifts, to come together and use those gifts with one united purpose: to see the Gospel preached to the nations! You may very well be gifted in an area that would make you an ideal part of this team!
This area of support is best described by four of its main elements:
- Money – helping missionaries determine budgets, to see how they’re doing, and to help communicate with their financial support teams…
- Taxes – as quoted by Neal Pirolo in Serving as Senders, “Don’t let your cross-cultural worker become a horror story of trouble with the government!” Taxes still must be filed every year…
- Health – do you know if your missionaries have health insurance? Also, have you considered safety issues for your missionaries when they are overseas? Your response to that?
- Death – does the church have a plan in place in case of a missionary’s death? Also, if a missionary has a close relative (i.e., a parent) that dies, what has been planned ahead for the missionary in that regard?
4) Attending to Personal Details
- Material Goods – what is left behind that needs taken care of? (Car, house, storage of belongings, help renewing licenses, etc.)
- Family Matters – looking after their parents, caring for their children, housing college-age children who’ve come back for school, homeschooling assistance, even representing them at their own family gatherings!
- Ministry Needs – mailing items they need, or even special items they request, researching and sending tech equipment
Diligent, Detail-oriented, Punctual, Good Record-keepers are what is needed for this area of support.