This month has been a stretch for me in a couple ways. I was asked to fill in for 2 weeks of teaching devotions to the Baptist Haiti Mission campus workers each morning at 8 o’clock. Fortunately, we had just finished translating the 10 basic doctrines which we teach in grades 1 & 2 into Creole. So I decided to teach these doctrines – which come with questions and answers – for the 10 days of devotions, adding a chronological Bible story to each doctrinal theme. That way, I am able to mostly read the Creole stories from the gr.2 Teacher’s Guide, and the workers, many of them illiterate or semi-literate, appreciate my efforts in the Creole language.
Also this month, we have been able to start formal Creole grammar lessons, 3 times a week for me, with Martha start Creole lessons twice a week, this week, with a couple other missionary ladies.
Earlier this month, I was able to finish a research on conversational French, at a local bilingual school (that is, they teach the children in French, but also simultaneously teach Creole.) My research is about a “theory” (well, it’s my hypothesis) that effective communication needs to be in the language spoken by the audience, whether they use French-as-a-second-language, or even better in the case of Haiti: in Creole. We want this Bible curriculum to touch their hearts, to change their lives – both for their country, and for all eternity.
So keep praying with us, for:
– Haitian educators to join me in developing a Bible curriculum in Creole;
– progress in writing and creating the grade 3 Teachers’ Guide and student textbook;
– for Martha’s ministry in the self-help shop, helping local crafts-men/women in creating sellable products.
Thank God with us, for:
– opportunities to teach Biblical principles in Creole;
– being able to be in Haiti these 2 more months, before needing to return to the States for paperwork;
– health & strength to serve in a couple very needy environments, with eternity’s values in view.
Laying firm foundations for Haiti,
Theo & Martha Enns
3170 Airmans Drive,
Ft. Pierce, FL 34946