I will be honest that there are times when I react the same way as Gideon and Moses and ask God, “Are you sure you picked the right person for this job?” There are so many ways that I don’t fit the mold of a “good missionary”. There are so many weaknesses that I have. Just yesterday I flushed the toilet here in Thailand and a huge spider ran out. I screamed! And then I thought this is ridiculous, I live in Africa I should not be screaming at bugs. Yet I think I might always still scream. God are you sure you sent the right person?
- I am not adventurous and yet this past year has been jam packed with many adventures
- I am not organized and yet I live in a house where we have to keep track of clean water, soap water, dirty water and what buckets are used for what type of water.
- I am terrible at goodbyes and weep every time I have to say goodbye even though I have done it so many times.
- I have a terrible sense of direction and I live where there are no street signs and no order.
- I would never choose to try new foods and yet this year I have had so many different foods that I didn’t even recognize.
- I hate disagreements and yet I live in a place where I have to barter for most of what I buy.
- I like being “in the know” and yet I live in a culture where I know and understand very little.
- I like to have a plan and yet I live in a place where they never plan.
- I would much rather talk than write and yet I am at a place where writing is the only means I have of communicating with people back home.
This week I have gotten a chance to reflect on all that we have been through this year. We have been through a lot of hard things and have made incredible progress in our adjustment to life in Africa. Did God send the right person? Yes because I am here to testify that what has happened has been through his strength and his strength alone. I don’t fit the mold, but he is molding me into what he wants me to be. So let me encourage anyone if you see a mountain in your future that you are too weak to climb, God is faithful and can give you the strength you lack to climb your mountain.
The boys back home are doing great. It is not easy, but God is carrying them through. Just as I left they got 3 new packages with new books, candy, crafts, and toys. So many blessings that they are enjoying and at just the perfect time. We are so grateful for all the love and support that surrounds us. Thailand has been great. I am learning so much! The internet here is terrible so you will have to wait to hear and see more of my trip.