This year we have been wondering what to do for schooling for our boys next year. The school the boys go to changes systems after elementary school and we weren’t sure if it would be a good fit for Ethan. Plus we know at some point we will need to switch them from French back into English. So with that in mind we started looking at other options. There is a British missionary school not far from us that takes day students from the towns nearby. We felt like it would be a good fit and decided to apply. 2 weeks ago the boys had their trial week there. I was really praying that God would confirm for us where the kids should go. We had some concerns for this school, the biggest being Tyler who is quite picky about food and he would be required to eat lunch there to and eat everything he was served. However as the week went on the boys were really enjoying it. Tyler wasn’t enjoying lunches by he wasn’t dreading it which in my book was a win. I was thanking God as it seems like he was confirming in our hearts where the boys should go.
Friday we get an email from the school to their pray partners saying that one dorm parent was no longer able to stay next year which means they were having to reshuffling things and not accept all new students. Sure enough 3 days later we got a letter saying there was not enough room for our boys the next year. We were all quite heart broken as it was seeming more and more like this was a perfect match for us.
It was a hard day as by this point we were all set on the idea of this school, but Ethan especially took it the hardest. I was frustrated as before going to the trial week the boys didn’t have any preference of school and it was only now after that week that we get the news. I was worried as the other options we have to consider are all significantly more expensive. However most of all I was disappointed as it was seeming to be such a great fit.
Moments of disappointment are always hard, but are always good as they draw me back to God. They remind me that it is his plans not mine. They remind me that he is the one in control of all the unknowns and that he knows the best. We asked him for clarity and he gave it, it was just not what we were expecting or in the way we were expecting. They remind me how easy it is to start worrying and not trust God for the things that our outside of our control. At the same time our passports were lost in the mail (don’t worry they are found now) but it was just one thing after another that seemed to be crumbling around me. So yesterday I took a day with God to refocus be renewed and rest.
This is a reality that many missionaries face so I know we are not alone in the struggle. So here is where we are at now. We have until July 15th to re enroll in the school the boys are currently at. We are debating between that and another schooling option and are taking the next week to pray once again for clarity and peace in this decision. Would you take a moment and pray with us as we seek wisdom from the Lord in this decision? The older our kids get the more complicated schooling becomes between different languages and countries and ministry realities. So pray for guidance was we move forward.