For the first time in our missionary career we hosted a large team from one of our sending churches. We have had a few visitors stay at our house, but never a group of this size. The group came to help fun our kids program for our conference, but wanted to stay a week after to get more of a real taste of life. The team were all good sports as they definitely faced some significant challenges, mostly revolving around staying healthy. However they walked away accomplishing what they had hoped to accomplish and got a real taste of some of the challenges of life. We are so grateful for our church who sent this team to us and for the attitude of those on the team during their time here.
Here are some interesting things about hosting a team for us
- We set up a tent on the roof and even had a visitor sleeping on our porch so that there was space enough for all.
- Water was out biggest concern, but every one was good about only flushing when needed and taking short showers.
- Our meals were simple, but no one complained.
- We squeezed everyone into one car when necessary and so they all got to get close and personal.
- The run from the airport to the house was the trickiest as the team and their bags meant we were loaded from top to bottom.
- The time was short so everyone just got one taste of different aspects of life, some thought this was a cruel trick, but I assured them it was just a ploy for them to come back.
- Mangos were in season so each day we cut up many and they always disappeared
- Sickness ran wild as well which means we bought more medicine in a week than we usually do in a year
- We also had some good game nights on the evenings when everyone didn’t just crash after dinner
- We worked three days at the church painting and we may have all worn the same clothes three days in a row
How about some of the blessings this team brought us (besides all these great new pictures to share with you)…