With my travel schedule one of the challenges is staying connected here in our home town. For the past few years I have missed out on the Woman’s Retreat at our church because by the time the dates came out I was already scheduled to travel. So this year I made sure to get those dates early and block those days out in my calendar. However just a few weeks before we heard the news the the retreat was canceled this year. I was so sad to miss yet another year. I was traveling when I heard this, but I told Joel’s mom that she should encourage the ladies of our church to still meet during this time. I was so pleased when I found out that they would in fact get together. It was a different type of retreat as we were a small group and we did all the cooking and cleaning ourselves, but it was still so good to spend time together.
Here are some highlights of the time..
- Based off of the last retreat I was at the states, I made an effort to hear each lady’s story. It was so great to get to know them all a little more as they shared with me what they wanted to about their lives.
- Joel’s mom led the devotion time on faith and it was really good
- One church woman’s group in the states had given us gifts for the ladies of our church and I had saved them for this event. It was so fun to hand them out and see their delight.
- I learned for the first time a card game known by many here that I had never even heard of, but can now play.
- Some of them entered the ocean for the first time and it was fun to see them stand on the edge and gradually enter in.
- We played soccer on the beach, which was humorous in so many way, but absolutely no pictures!
- We cleaned, cooked, ate and talked side by side and it was just so amazing to have them time together.
- The woman listed the challenges ahead and then handed those over to God in pray in a time that was quite touching to all there.
It was a great weekend. I wish more could have made it and hopefully next year the larger retreat will take place. But for this year I was just grateful for these moments we had together.