The month of October was quite exciting with the leaves changing colors and with a few flakes of snow here in Eastern Oregon. It was also a month in which I was sick quite a bit. After my trip to Florida and Louisiana, I was a bit worn out, and was hit with some sickness. And then last weekend I got the swine flu, but I survived! Now I’m feeling pretty good, just in time for a trip to Denver, tomorrow!
I’m heading to Denver with our Youth Group as we head to a Dare 2 Share meeting! It’s a youth evangelism meeting that teaches teens how to share their faith. I attended one a couple of years ago, and it’s very good and helpful with sharing your faith with your friends. We will be leaving early Thursday morning, and returning to Baker City, Oregon late Monday night!
It looks like Amy & I will be able to spend the holidays with our families. I’ll be in Eastern Oregon, and Amy will be in Florida. Then we are praying to be able to head to Mexico in January or February, but it will continue to depend upon our support levels. Please pray with us as we wait!
This is a devotional that I was reading on Saturday night. And it helps me understand why I’m still in Oregon, and haven’t yet left for Mexico! It was very encouraging!
Streams in The Desert Devotion
When the cloud remained…the Israelites…did not set out. (Numbers 9.19)
This was the ultimate test of obedience. It was relatively easy to fold up their tents when the fleecy cloud slowly gathered over the tabernacle and began to majestically float ahead of the multitude of the Israelites. Change normally seems pleasant, and the people were excited and interested in the route, the scenery, and the habitat of the next stopping place.
Yet having to wait was another story altogether. “When the cloud remained,” however uninviting and sweltering the location, however trying to flesh and blood, however boring and wearisome to those who were impatient, however perilously close their exposure to danger – there was no option but to remain encamped.
The psalmist said, “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry” (Ps. 40.1). And what God did for the Old Testament saints, He will do for believers down through the ages, yet He will often keep us waiting. Must we wait when we are face to face with a threatening opposition, surrounded by danger and fear, or below and unstable rock? Would this not be the time to fold our tents and leave? Have we not already suffered to the point of total collapse? Can we not exchange the sweltering heat for “green pastures…[and] quiet waters” (Ps. 23.2)?
When God sends no answer and “the cloud remain[s],” we must wait. Yet we can do so with the full assurance of God’s provision of manna, water from the rock, shelter, and protection from our enemies. He never keeps us at our post without assuring us of His presence or sending us daily supplies.
Young person, wait-do not be in such a hurry to make a change! Minister, stay at your post! You must wait where you are until the cloud clearly begins to move. Wait for the Lord to give you His good pleasure! He will not be late! from Daily Devotional Commentary
When talking to God for me, remember…
- My Spiritual Life – as I continue to be a living example of who God is to all those around me
- Preparations for Mexico – get rid of the extra & pack the essentials
- Patience as I wait for God’s timing to send me to Mexico and wisdom in knowing what to do until then
- Praise God as HE continues to supply my needs
- Amy & I as we prepare for new challenges in Mexico!
- More laborers to share the Gospel!
God continues to show His power & love in providing for Amy & I. In these last four months God has doubled my support level! When I sent my last newsletter, I was at 20% & now I’m at 47% ($1490)!
This little picture shows the progress of my monthly support! New Tribes – Mexico would like me to have enough support to make it to Cortez, Colorado, which is 60% before I can set a travel date & go to Mexico. But I would like to make it closer to the green star – which is past Albuquerque, New Mexico, about 80%. Currently “my car” is at 47%, which is at Woodside, Utah – about 9 hours from Oregon & 11 hours from El Paso, Texas! Amy has reached 57% and she is so close to reaching the required 60%. $31 a month equals 1% of my support. So I only need 14 individuals or churches to help me set my travel date to Mexico! If you have some more questions about this, please ask! I only need to raise $400 of monthly support in order to set my travel date!
Can Amy go to Mexico when her support reaches 60% without you?
The simple answer is “No.” She will have to wait until I reach my 60% support level, and then we will both head down to Mexico together!
How much longer til you get to Mexico?
I know, I’m wondering that same thing myself. I think that this time of waiting has been teaching me a lot of things about God. Like “God does what He says He’ll do”, it’s a phrase that I learned while I helped out with 2 summer kids programs. In Psalm 46.10 it says: “Be still & know that I am God, I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” This verse has been an amazing reminder to me as I wait, wait for God’s timing to allow to me to leave for Mexico. He’s really the one doing the work & He can use me when & wherever He needs me. And His goal will continue to be: that everyone should know who He is! It takes a lot of pressure off me!