Over the past 3 days I have learned 196 new words in French. Only two words come to mind in English…Mental Exhaustion. The encouraging part has been watching my comprehension grow rapidly over a very short amount of time. There have been moments of blurred vision by tears, but all in all it has been a positive experience. We are supposed to average 50 new words a day. That aggressive pace that will keep us working hard…very hard. The first day of school we came home to meetings and appointments, not realizing what a toll the morning of school would have on our bodies. We have learned now that we can only plan one thing a day to accomplish in the afternoon (outside of our normal daily tasks like making dinner and caring for our children). Language will be the summation of our life for a while, because it will be all that we can handle. We are blessed to have a wonderful language helper who is very patient and speaks wonderful French. It will be a blessing to get to know her more as the days go on.
Things I am learning
– The first thing we learned was how to listen. It is amazing how bad we are at this naturally. Hopefully through working so hard at listening, I will become a better listener in life. I have noticed that being a better listener makes me a better mom, wife, friend and witness.
– I am learning to appreciate each small step up the mountain even when the top is not anywhere in sight.
– The importance of a siesta. With the heat and such strenuous work, Joel and I have come to appreciate moments of rest even if it is just a short time to lie down and take a break.
– TORI!!! I can’t begin to think about going through all we are doing without the support of Tori. She has been amazingly helpful. I know that we could survive without her, but I am glad at this moment right now that we don’t have to.
– We are learning successfully learning language!
– The emotional exhaustion subsided before the mental exhaustion started. I am so grateful that we became semi adjusted in our life here before school started.
The Long road ahead…
I am sure the days ahead are going to be long and hard, filled with ups and downs. I am praising God that he has lit our path, even if I can only see enough to take the next step. Thank you for praying for us in our classes.