From Mazatlán to Las Moras
When last we wrote, the exciting news we had to share (about Nahuatl baptisms!) was penned from Spokane, WA. Since that time, we’ve been on the move! Our road has led from Spokane to Kansas City, to El Paso and the familiarity of Chihuahua City, and now we find ourselves in hot – and still quite humid! – Mazatlán. The last leg of this particular journey is all that remains… and once we’ve traveled from Mazatlán to Las Moras, we at long last will be able to put away the suitcases for a time. Imagine our anticipation! Our coworkers Rachel and Katie are kindly loaning us their house while they are gone for several months, giving us a great space to stay in while working on our own.
Joel and I (Jordan) have actually already made a first trip in to the village, delivering most of our cargo and a stash of non-perishable goods. Returning the next day – again over roads thrashed by rainy season and three tropical storms – we found the truck needs some time with the mechanic to recover from a couple particularly strong jolts: one of which bent a wheel well, and clean took off a fog light with its enclosure! After taking a couple much-needed days to recover from travel and packing, we have continued pressing forward with supply buying for our first family stint in the mountains.
God answers prayer in so many different ways. When we recently shared a need for funding to order solar equipment, we knew He would provide as always – though we didn’t presume as to the manner or timing! His plans often differ from ours, and when we went 13 months in Chihuahua without a vehicle… He met both our short- and long-term needs faithfully! In this as well, we were confident that God would do what was best for His ministry – whatever that might be.
Yet in this case, He chose to act in a way which surprised us with joy! Within 24 hours of sharing that need, $10K was pledged toward solar and house expenses. By the 48 hour mark, another $5K pledge put our original goal within reach. When the dust settled a couple weeks later, not only had God provided the full cost of the solar order’s purchase and transportation – but also enough beyond that to enable us to begin the next phase of construction as well.
Funding in-hand, we worked for quite some time figuring out the specifics of what was needed. The work was even more complex than it initially appeared, and complicated by our family’s continual travel! Yet God also provided the time necessary, and we are pleased to report that the solar package is ordered and scheduled for delivery before the work team’s earliest potential arrival date! Please join us in thanking Him for His kindness in all aspects of this, and continue to pray that our installation team be free to come in His timing.
Thank God with us!
- God granted Joel and I a safe initial journey into the village, and we were able to deliver much of what we’ll need for the first several weeks out there.
- Our friend Don Chubb completed more than he expected during two weeks on-site with his family: fixing leaks, installing rain collection and siding, and starting drywall!
- We have such an amazing team of coworkers – they have encouraged us greatly throughout this entire transition, and we are very grateful for their counsel and friendship.
Ways you can pray:
- Our next trip in to Las Moras is our official move-out trip – please pray for our final preparations and safety en route!
- For our truck, currently in the shop for road-related repairs. Pray that things be fixed well, and for the details surrounding travel delays necessitated by these repairs.
- Pray for our family, as mountain life brings much change! Grateful to be where God has called us (and for a chance to stay in one place for a time!), we know that culture shock and lifestyle changes await… pray that we rest in the Lord during the challenges ahead!
Paula Ferry says
Praying for your safety as you travel and for many to be reached with the gospel!
Sharon Guldjord says
Great Letter, Jordan! It made me cry with joy that you are finally getting your hearts desire met after all these
years of preparation! I’m excited for you and will pray and support you through it all. I love and cherish all of
you and I miss you terribly but I release you to the Lord to serve Him as He has called you. My love is constant
and my prayers continual. Go with God and keep in touch. I am expecting only blessings for you because you
have worked hard and earned this time of blessing. I am so proud of all of you as you sacrifice for the Lord.
He loves you and so do I. Grammie PS the work starts now!!! Be Safe, Be happy and Have fun!
John Putnam says
Thanks for the update. Praise God for safe travel. Good to hear that Don was able to make great progress on the house.Praying that the last leg of your journey to Las Moras goes well, your truck is road worthy, and the family adjusts quickly to mountain life.
Karen Calvin says
WOW so exciting to hear how the Lord is meeting your need. We continue to pray for you as He continues to give you encouragement, health, strength and safety. TJ and Karen
Donna M Busha says
Always sweet glorious praise to ask and receive from the Lord what you need and have Him bless you with JOY!