I have been reading the book, “Winning the War in Your Mind” by Craig Groeschel with my older son. It has been a really good book. One of the premises of the book is that Satan is a liar, and all he says are lies. According to John 8:44 lying is his native tongue. Just like the people here in PNG who all have their native language, the language that they speak most clearly, lying is Satans. Another thing Craig says is that Satan is not very creative in the lies he tells, but he is very persistent. In fact, one of his tactics is to continue to say the same lie to us over and over again, until we begin to believe it.
As I have been meditating on that book, I listened / read a short devotional by Tony Evans this week on YouVersion titled, “Who Controls Your Thoughts?” Between the two I was challenged to write and begin reading / reciting the following declaration regularly. Maybe these thoughts will be a help for you in your battle against Satan’s lies also:
James 1:14-15 Temptation comes from my own desires which entice me and drag me down. Satan is not creative, but he is very repetitive. He continues to tell the same lie until we believe it. What are the lies I believe, and continue to listen to? And what does God say about that?
Here are some truths I need to listen to instead:
- James 1: 12 God blesses those who choose to endure testing and temptation. A reward and a crown is waiting for me
- Christ has given me a new identity, His identity
- 2 Pet 1:4 Through His precious promises He has given me His divine nature
- He has identified with me in this struggle.
- Heb 4:15 He is my high priest who has been there too
- He is always with me
- Heb 13:5 He promises to never leave or forsake
- I can find my satisfaction in knowing him
- Phil 3:8 everything is worthless compared to the value of knowing Christ
- My focus can be, and should be on serving and glorifying Him.
- Phil 1:21 For me to live is Christ
- 1 Peter 4:11 When I speak or serve I do it by the strength God provides in order that in everything He will be glorified
- Sin does not have the power to control me!
- Rom 6:6-7 My old man is crucified, the power of sin has been overcome, I AM no longer a slave to sin. I am free
- Gal 2:20 the life I live, I live by the power of Christ IN ME
- 1 John 4: 4 Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world
- 2 Cor 10: 4-5 my weapons are powerful. When I submit my thoughts to the truth, the truth will destroy those strongholds in my mind.
- James 4:7 Submit my thinking and desires (idols) to God and resist the devil by identifying and exposing His lies. When I do, He will flee!
Every time I am tempted, remind myself that Satan is a liar and always and only speaks lies because that is his native language (John 8:44). Call it what it is… a lie. I don’t have to listen to it. The power of sin has been destroyed. I am not a slave to sin. I am free. My weapons (God’s truth) can destroy that stronghold!