|There have been a few themes that have run through the last 25 years as Bethany and I have served as “faith-supported missionaries”. They are these:|
1. This career/calling/choice is not AT ALL financially stable or lucrative. There will be constant peaks and valleys and at times, either of those extremes can last a long time or a short time. When one or another lasts for some time, we pray we are wise stewards and thoughtful planners. Whether we have much or little, stewardship and planning are vital.
2. Because of #1, we will be either forced (when we’re earth bound in our thinking) or taught (when we’re heavenly focused in our thinking) to rely in a unique way upon the provision of the Good Shepherd.
3. The God of this calling that we have responded to, is a PROVIDER, the agent of MIRACLES, and He can provide for our needs. He can provide from the nothingness of thin air if He wants to. Let’s not forget that he provided food, physical nourishment with flavor and calories, for millions of Israelites 6 days a week for an unknown amount of time because His children needed food. Lately, we have found ourselves in an extended period of time when we are praying for that miracle “manna” that God provided Israel.
In January, we made the choice to relocate Lynn, Bethany’s Mother into a Small Care Home (ALF). She had just been placed on Hospice care but we had come to a point where we could no longer meet her Alzheimer’s needs in our home. We moved her at that time based on the assurance of the Hospice Medicaid advisor she was a “shoe-in” to have Medicaid approved, within the month, to cover those costs.
That was six months ago. Only last week did we receive the news that the application is in its final stages. It is now in the hands of the Department of Elder Affairs to be approved, so we continue to wait. If it is approved, we believe we may get the funds ($1500/month) we paid out-of-pocket back as reimbursement.
Today, however, we are in a tighter position financially than we have been in a very long time. We feel we needed to share candidly and simply what has led to this. Here are some other contributing factors:
1. We were aware that we would no longer have Lynn’s small SS income supplementing our support income, and we had made adjustments to our budget for that, but were not prepared to also pay the amount that Medicaid was supposed to cover.
2. Because we have been paying that out of our monthly support income, we have been forced to accrue about $7000 in credit card debt. On top of that, we were forced to spend all of our budgeted savings for future commitments like tuition, taxes, Christmas gifts, vehicle registrations, property taxes, homeowners insurance, etc.
3. Because of an increase in our overall support last year (PTL), we unknowingly bumped up to a new tax bracket which led to us having a huge and unexpected tax burden for 2022. We now have $4000 of taxes that we owe.
4. Emergency Dental and Medical care led to another $5000 in bills.
To sum it up (a poorly used math pun, I know 😏), we are facing a $23,000 shortfall.
|We have been hesitant to speak candidly about this because these needs were tied to what seems like “non-ministry” things. BUT we can no longer bear this on our own. We want to ask you for your extraordinary prayer support. This number seems so huge and may continue to grow, but God has ALWAYS been faithful to provide. And He has made His wonders to be remembered. So, we’re looking at the examples of how He has provided for his children all throughout Biblical history, as well as in our actual lives and the lives of our friends and co-workers.|
Will you please join in prayer with us for these needs to be met soon?
– Please pray that our hearts would look to God and remember His wonders when we’re overwhelmed with the lack that is right in front of us.
– Please pray for us to have wisdom and good stewardship in our lives. We are even considering whether Bethany would need to seek out a part-time job for the time being. It’s not ideal, but we may not have another option.
We love you guys, our faithful partners, and we’re sorry to have kept the specifics of this from you for as long as we have. Please stay faithful in prayer and remind yourself and us that He Has Made His Wonders To Be Remembered!